Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
Fabia 1.4TDi

I bought a 2006 Skoda Fabia 1.4TDi estate over the Christmas break. This car is based on the VW chassis used in the Polo and others (so a size smaller than the Golf).

It has an instant and average mpg display which is of course a very useful tool.

First tank, in cold snowy conditions here in the UK was 60mpg average (50mpgUS).

I'm now getting an indicated 72mpg (60mpgUS) on my commute- I'm looking forward to improving this with a few aero mods!

Anyone else here running this car?

Simon

Last edited by ecoxantia; 01-18-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
I doubt it! Well done on your purchase and well done on the good result in the snow.
I also found it easier to get good numbers because everyone was going much slower.

ollie
Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Yeah, I don't think anyone else here is running the car.

I just looked up some pictures of it. I think you should be able to block the lower grille for a boost in economy.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Indeed- I've been thinking about aero mods;
I'd like to make an active grille block; tidy up the hub caps, though they are already almost there; then fair in the rear wheel arches.

There is an economy version of the car, which I must investigate. I know they've lowered that one 15mm.

Underneath the car has an engine undertray but I can probably improve the back end.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Great numbers!! If only my SW was that small...

I read a review of the Eco-Fabia and it has an auto start-stop feature, present in almost all eco-versions of most cars in Europe. It turns the engine off when the car is stopped and the gear is in neutral, quickly starts when put in gear. Unfortunately, the start-stop function in the Fabia would turn the engine back on after 40 seconds of waiting. Kinda dumb (some lights can stay red for over 90 seconds), but I guess they have their reasons. I hope they've changed that.

What are your plans for the Xantia?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 01-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
Is your Fabia the first generation or the current gen model? The eco model you're referring to is the Greenline, which is basically Skoda's version of the Polo Bluemotion and SEAT's Ibiza Ecomotive.

From the reviews I've read (like the one above) it seems essentially pretty similar to those models which means it shares the same "problems" (my use of quote marks - I sometimes think the magazines miss the point of the eco-orientated models) - such as quite long gearing having to cope with a low power output, average performance etc, plus the Skoda doesn't dip below 100g/km of CO2 (which is necessary to qualify for free road tax in the UK) like the VW and SEAT do. Perhaps it's inherently less aerodynamic.

If yours is the older shape Fabia though you probably won't be able to just chop and change bits from the Greenline and will probably have to DIY any aeromods. What you could try doing is changing to some low rolling resistance tyres, which I know is one thing that the Greenline uses.

You're getting great figures from it though, especially for cold weather and snow on the ground. It's essentially the same engine as VAG uses in all it's small eco cars so it's definitely a good'un.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
What are your plans for the Xantia?
I've sold it! Expected it to take a while but it went in 2 days...
Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJI View Post
Is your Fabia the first generation or the current gen model? The eco model you're referring to is the Greenline, which is basically Skoda's version of the Polo Bluemotion and SEAT's Ibiza Ecomotive.

From the reviews I've read (like the one above) it seems essentially pretty similar to those models which means it shares the same "problems" (my use of quote marks - I sometimes think the magazines miss the point of the eco-orientated models) - such as quite long gearing having to cope with a low power output, average performance etc, plus the Skoda doesn't dip below 100g/km of CO2 (which is necessary to qualify for free road tax in the UK) like the VW and SEAT do. Perhaps it's inherently less aerodynamic.

If yours is the older shape Fabia though you probably won't be able to just chop and change bits from the Greenline and will probably have to DIY any aeromods. What you could try doing is changing to some low rolling resistance tyres, which I know is one thing that the Greenline uses.

You're getting great figures from it though, especially for cold weather and snow on the ground. It's essentially the same engine as VAG uses in all it's small eco cars so it's definitely a good'un.
Mine is the first generation (well strictly 1.5 as there was a mild facelift).

Road tax is pretty cheap - half what I was paying- but you're right it's a shame Skoda don't pay more attention to the UK rates as it could be a lot less. Still my car tax will drop a bit more come March!

In terms of mods- I already have the coroplast and fiberglass

I'm getting better economy as I learn to drive the thing - 75mpg imperial on back-roads today (according to the gauge)

Simon
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
The PRC.

I have the VRS hatchback, I'm thinking of downsizing to the 1.4 (amongst other options) - those are decent figures. And I like the extra space.

I can get 65 on my homeward journey but only just under 50 average for the outward one - downhill vs uphill I think. But the real accurate measure is tank to tank which is usually less than the overall average.

Is it the 3cyl engine ?

Last edited by Arragonis; 01-25-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I have the VRS hatchback, I'm thinking of downsizing to the 1.4 (amongst other options) - those are decent figures. And I like the extra space.

I can get 65 on my homeward journey but only just under 50 average for the outward one - downhill vs uphill I think. But the real accurate measure is tank to tank which is usually less than the overall average.

Is it the 3cyl engine ?
The 1.4 is the 3-cyl engine, you're correct. It came in 75bhp and 90bhp flavours as far as I know, though I think the 90bhp version might only have been available in the Audi A2.

Personally, if I had the vRS, I wouldn't see much reason to downsize unless you're really hard up and need the extra economy, as the vRS achieves such great figures as it is. Pound for pound there are probably very, very few cars that offer the economy that the vRS can manage with as much performance as it can also manage. Unless you find yourself barely ever using the performance, I can't see too many good reasons to downsize (although you do mention space). I reckon the sixth gear helps the vRS too, especially on motorways.

Best compromise of course would have been if Skoda had ever built a vRS Combi. I know a few private owners have built their own, which is just brilliant (a vRS estate would be close to the top of my all-time favourite VAG products!).