View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Christ, What do you suggest i do with the wheels/tires/suspension?
OH, I'm sorry, did I make it sound like I had any idea what I was talking about? Man, I've gotta stop doing that...

Ok, in reality, I'd look into getting the longest lasting tires and lowest rolling resistance you can (specifically, a large truck tire conversion) but that's costly. On the plus side, you only have to replace the tires like once for your entire life.

On the down side, it's more mass to accelerate, but that doesn't make much difference on an RV, because you don't drive those things in the city much.

Instead of solid side skirting and wheel covers, consider just using some stiff but flexible plastic/rubber stuff, so that when you inevitably run your neighbor's kid over, he doesn't get ripped up by the stiff sides.

Get yourself some aluminum flashing and make fairings for the back side of anything that sticks into the wind. Get a rear view camera, and tuck those side mirrors in tighter.

Belly pan for sure, and taper the back of the pan's exit up to the rear bumper. Close in or cut off the ends of the bumper, depending on legality.

Kamm extension. It doubles as an awning.

Keep your marker lights. Safety comes before mileage, no matter what. If you want to get special, replace them with LED's. Replace all your lights with LED's, as a matter of fact. Do whatever you can to reduce the accessory load on that engine. Consider swapping to a smaller engine and/or a manual transmission. We're probably getting outside your skill level at this point?