Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
For my project I have a budget of about $0, so it's not about what I can spend money on, but what I can invent and fabricate from things laying around.

From my experience with driving buses, I think video gives you better visibility because you have a much wider field of view and more options for aiming.

I have to remove the A/C units to do roof repairs anyway, but it is a hot-box, so I'm trying to figure out a way to drop them to the inside for travel mode, and then cranking them up into position for operation in home mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to thatguitarguy For This Useful Post:
Intense (01-25-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Delete the front bumper, and do your best to round off the front corners. Even adding big half-round moldings around the front end would help if you don't want to hack the current edges. Keep the speed 'way down, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bicycle Bob For This Useful Post:
Intense (01-25-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
EV conversion.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Project Green RV

Thanks for all your input!

The paint is eco friendly paint(might use cheapest) and the eco wrap is green-eco friendly vinyl graphics made with green inks -printed on recycled media.

What primer and paint should we use? Anything available that will defend uv rays/heat?

What is a good but very cheap tire???

I took your advice and got one of those hitch hauler things for the rear and I will be moving the cargo box from the roof.

Hells yeah to Guitar Guy and your Pathfinder. Being a musician also I have a budget of $.50!
I traded a Nissan Pathfinder for the RV haha

Bicycle Bob- Can you please emphasize on rounding and round molding?

Rob Smalls-What would it take to do an EV conversion?

Are smoothie wheels needed if i add fender skirts?

I'm not feeling the belly pan, could i avoid it by enhancing my front and adding lower skirts?

What else could I do with the headlights?

Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I've seen a few times some normal pickup trucks with rig tires on them. 22.5 LP's. Yep. Those tires have to last a million miles on a standard pickup, and based on what I saw in traveling behavior, it seems like the truck could just roll and roll and roll forever. Of course, with 100+ PSI in your tires, I suppose that would be the case. Eh?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Project Green RV

Christ, What do you suggest i do with the wheels/tires/suspension?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Christ, What do you suggest i do with the wheels/tires/suspension?
OH, I'm sorry, did I make it sound like I had any idea what I was talking about? Man, I've gotta stop doing that...

Ok, in reality, I'd look into getting the longest lasting tires and lowest rolling resistance you can (specifically, a large truck tire conversion) but that's costly. On the plus side, you only have to replace the tires like once for your entire life.

On the down side, it's more mass to accelerate, but that doesn't make much difference on an RV, because you don't drive those things in the city much.

Instead of solid side skirting and wheel covers, consider just using some stiff but flexible plastic/rubber stuff, so that when you inevitably run your neighbor's kid over, he doesn't get ripped up by the stiff sides.

Get yourself some aluminum flashing and make fairings for the back side of anything that sticks into the wind. Get a rear view camera, and tuck those side mirrors in tighter.

Belly pan for sure, and taper the back of the pan's exit up to the rear bumper. Close in or cut off the ends of the bumper, depending on legality.

Kamm extension. It doubles as an awning.

Keep your marker lights. Safety comes before mileage, no matter what. If you want to get special, replace them with LED's. Replace all your lights with LED's, as a matter of fact. Do whatever you can to reduce the accessory load on that engine. Consider swapping to a smaller engine and/or a manual transmission. We're probably getting outside your skill level at this point?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
454, c30, chevy, solar, wiinebago