View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #244 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Great thread, sweet bike.

I have a possible motor idea that you may be able to find cheap. (if you are still thinking about upgrading) The drive motor from an electrak or an electrak snowblower. The blower motor would probably be easier to find and get cheap. But you may have to buy the whole blower to get it. Mine came with a 4 hp GE motor. Not a PM, a series wound, but really hefty.

The drive motor from an E12 would be good too. They are PM just like my electrak and Auranthetic. Similar motors are used in scissor lifts and floor sweepers. They are 36 volts but ar actually 1 to 4 hp rated continuous.

Those Chinese motors are notoriously underrated. I see them all the time and compared to my 1HP Auranthetic motor are mobility wheelchair sized. It is 14" long and 5 1/2 inches in diameter and weighs a ton. Motors made here have to be built and tested to industry standards. Chinese motors have to be nothing. The numbers on them are useless. When they say 1200 watts continuous think peak. Expect every rating to be grossly overstated until proven otherwise.

This is more what you should be looking for: Imperial Electric - DC Motors - 42 Frame

It's either something like that or an Etek style. Found here among other suitable motors, but you can find them cheaper or salvage.

In case you or the readers of this thread are interested here is a link to motor ratings information. If you don't know the difference between A rated and H rated insulation you should read this: motorsanddrives.com - Motor Temperature Ratings

Or you could build your own like this guy (your build quality looks like you could): 'Fly Electric' - Crocodile Motors

BTW: Love the thread and only just found it. Good luck!!!

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Last edited by orange4boy; 01-26-2010 at 12:18 PM..