View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #40 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
I was planning on setting my circular saw to 1/8 inch deep and making kerfs in the back in the direction (or two) that I wanted the wood to bend. I know it isn't the best way to do it but I don't think it will affect the strength that much if I fasten it well. This is just a "proof of concept" cap anyway. I'll be happy to use it until June. So epoxy coating is not really a priority. If it significantly improves my mileage on the road, I'll make a more robust version with some kind of hatch back door thing and windows.

I'm fairly convinced that this is a good direction to start with by tapering in the sides and having a curved arch top profile. Most folks don't taper the sides and I think really only end up improving the airflow over 2 or 3 feet down the centerline of the truck bed. By taking the time to do this, I'm managing all the air above the bed which is about 8 linear feet of the slipstream (22" tall sides + 52" wide roof). After reading a bunch of technical papers today over in the "General Efficiency" forum, I'm getting a little concerned about lift forces that might be generated at highway speeds (with a head wind, passing a truck and 82% humidity). I don't think it will significantly affect handling, I just worry that the cap will come loose and take a short flight. I'm going to double the hold down system I was originally planning to avoid having to fill out a EAA membership, although I'm certain Burt Rutan would love having me in the ranks.
The cap will "explode" if not strong enough to withstand the delta-p across it.
And it would "leave" if allowed,so good idea on extra hold downs.
The plan-view curvature will cut extra drag.You'll experience a bit of cross-talk where the rails and cap meet.It cannot be avoided short of a bed re-design.Kamm suffered this on his K-cars,don't worry about it.
As far as bow shock-waves from 18-wheelers,etc.,she should be rock-solid.The cap will provide you downforce and you'll swear there's a load in the bed the way she rides.
Put in a Plex side window on the passenger side if you can.Backing out of a parallel parking space can be terrifying without it.
Even a slit at the rear will also give you some vision you'll enjoy.
Tensile strength is your friend.
P.S.If you're going anywhere near goats,make it VERY strong!
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
slowmover (03-27-2010)