View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
NeilBlanchard -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Here's a story about the possible reason for this problem:
No Easy Answer To Why Toyota Accelerators Stick : NPR
Seems the throttles made by CTS Corp (Elkhart, IN) are the ones that are failing, while the Denso made units are fine.
Yes, but I think that none of those Canadian made pedals resulted in deaths (see my above post). Toyota doesn't have a "hard" fix that gaurantees a solution, so I think there is more to this. In the article you posted, this is interesting :

Quote:
Academic researchers say the rarity of sudden acceleration problems is a telling sign to the difficulty of determining what's going wrong.
This is the bane of software developers, low-frequency intermittent errors. If you can't recreate the problem in the lab, you can's solve it.

In the video with the Camry owner, he described our "self-defense" solution, aka pop it in Neutral. I wonder if fly-by-wire could ignore/disable the *act* of selecting neutral. Pure speculation on my part, but totally plausible.

Question: In an automatic, I don't think the "stick" is directly connected to the transmission. Can someone edumacate me? I am guessing "it depends".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society