View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
Deezler
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
Thanks guys.

Aloha, the VG's are doin just fine, I suppose. When I installed them my daily scan gauge readings seemed to jump up just a bit, but I never proved it with actual fuel economy improvement. If you recall my VG installation/testing thread, tuft testing showed that they definitely affected / improved the airflow down the lower rear glass and trunk lid. But I suspect that the drag they induce locally at their mounting point basically offsets any improvement in rear wake reduction.

Owning a TDI is definitely a hands-on experience. If you can't do the basic maintenance yourself (and correctly) they can be expensive to own. But the internet abounds with helpful tips and DIYs. My TDI has never had a serious engine / vehicle problem though (knocking on desk now). All the problems I've ever had with my TDI have been from vehicle systems that I've modified myself (use of biodiesel leading to fuel gelling / clogs, install a coolant heater and get a coolant leak, etc.). Otherwise the only money I've had to put into owning it over the last 60k miles is one brake replacement (free labor (me) and $250 for parts), standard timing belt / water pump job before 100k miles ($350 parts and 350 labor), and oil and filter changes every 7 or 8k miles. In the meantime I am saving hundreds on fuel costs with an avg 48 mpg in 2009. Plus with my engine upgrades I now blow the doors off almost any Honda or Toyota in acceleration...

I love this vehicle and would highly recommend it to anyone with even just basic wrenching ability.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deezler For This Useful Post:
alohaspirit (01-29-2010)