Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
If you live in SE Michigan 80 MPH is minimum survival speed in a small car.
Unfortunately so. I usually do ok in the 70-75 mph range, but get passed continuously. Some of my co-workers claim to run around 65mph, but I don't see how that's possible. I never go past anyone going that slow anyway. At 60mph you'd either get rear-ended or personally assaulted. Most of the Semis are running 70mph, too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover911 View Post
Isnt the jetta aero better than the golf?

However, wouldnt it be easier to aeromod the golf? (the kammback seems a lot easier to do than anything to a sedan... other than a rear decklid extension and thats about it i guess)
Yeah, the Jetta is just slightly better, stock. I think even a very small kammback would give the advantage back to the golf though. I've been considering a decklid extension for a long time now, but haven't mustered the guts to try to make one. Attachment to the trunk lid is probably my biggest obstacle.

Remaining aero-mod goals:
  • Finish full under-tray
  • Rear wheel skirts and wheel spats/deflectors
  • Maybe a rear decklid and some small boat-tailing panels

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
I mean, I know you want to keep your jetta looking "cool", but a well made (maybe fibreglass with matching paint) can actually look REALLY cool.

Kind of like the "duck" spoilers on aftermarket BMW's, they extend out and up- instead of up simply out of course. Those actually look very nice.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ok, long time, no updates. Here are some.

Some of you may have seen my belly pan work in the other thread I created. This thing is definitely helping mileage, very pleased.

Last weekend I got a little deeper into my engine upgrades.

Started with a downpipe and catalytic converter upgrade

Instant gains in mpg and power. My girlfriend doesn't like the extra noise (it sounds awesome), but what are ya gonna do.

The next mod will make big dave happy - added an EGT probe so I can make sure I'm not putting my exhaust valves or turbo in danger when I get careless with speed...

I have been trying to find a solution to installing and EGT thermocouple without having to pull my turbo and drill the manifold for a little while now. After reading through the tdiclub.com classifieds and seeing how many people part out engines or various EGR parts, I finally had a minor eureka moment and picked up a used EGR cooler exhaust supply tube on the cheap.

Then modify as such:

A little precision bending to get the thermocouple down into the exhaust manifold stream, and voila. EGT readings without pulling the turbo or blocking my EGR.

Had to find a new spot in the interior to mount the gauge, also.

This was a very satisfying step in the evolution of my car - allows for max power out of the stock turbo while enhancing mpgs at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deezler For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (01-29-2010)
Old 12-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

3 tanks of 55.0 MPG! Pure highway to Florida and back, without even trying for FE other than some neutral coasts down long hills. Pretty much always in the 70-80 mph range. My girlfriend's unintentional heavy pulse and glide driving style seemed to get about the same mileage as my steadier style... With 55 mpg my highway range is now well over 900 miles.

Also getting 50+ mpg in daily driving, while driving as hard as I want. My mileage goals are basically achieved. Still want to complete a couple more aero-mods and run some coast down testing.

It would be fun to see how someone with more patience and hyper-miling skills could do with my car; I don't think 65 mpg would be impossible.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
havin had a 300TD I am really impressed by diesels

3 tanks of 55 mpg is awesome!

and bio here is around 3.90 which seems to be a buck more than there

imagine running that beast on veggie

dayum
Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I realize that was two months ago, but thanks Aloha.

Well, back in Early December I had to switch back to winter mode. Gave 'er a final good scrubbing and snapped some pics before the wrenching had to begin. Can't wait to switch back to this mode come April!

And currently:

Plus now with atrocious amounts of road salt.

I decided $45 was well worth it to add an oil pan heater:

I'm hoping the angled silicon bead will direct any errant oil / fuel / coolant (seems theres always somethin' on a diesel) away from ever reaching the pad heater edges...

I also followed the footsteps of others, and grabbed a marinco power outlet.

The outlet is wired to a short three way extension, so now I have both oil pan and coolant circulation heaters when its plugged in.
3 hours on the timer before I leave for work, and occasionally I get a parking spot close enough at work to plug in my 50' extension cord.

And lastly, major vehicle milestones must always be observed:

It's nice having almost half a tank of fuel left after 450 miles (...okay, so the second half of gauge travel goes a little faster)

And.....
Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #47 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Wow. Still amazing.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #48 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
how are those VGs working for you

i noticed in an earlier post it wasnt doing that well but there was no mention of changing them

also ive done research into jetta TDIs and noticed that half of the reviews were about maintenence problems

how has yours been running? (anything to watch for IYO)
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks guys.

Aloha, the VG's are doin just fine, I suppose. When I installed them my daily scan gauge readings seemed to jump up just a bit, but I never proved it with actual fuel economy improvement. If you recall my VG installation/testing thread, tuft testing showed that they definitely affected / improved the airflow down the lower rear glass and trunk lid. But I suspect that the drag they induce locally at their mounting point basically offsets any improvement in rear wake reduction.

Owning a TDI is definitely a hands-on experience. If you can't do the basic maintenance yourself (and correctly) they can be expensive to own. But the internet abounds with helpful tips and DIYs. My TDI has never had a serious engine / vehicle problem though (knocking on desk now). All the problems I've ever had with my TDI have been from vehicle systems that I've modified myself (use of biodiesel leading to fuel gelling / clogs, install a coolant heater and get a coolant leak, etc.). Otherwise the only money I've had to put into owning it over the last 60k miles is one brake replacement (free labor (me) and $250 for parts), standard timing belt / water pump job before 100k miles ($350 parts and 350 labor), and oil and filter changes every 7 or 8k miles. In the meantime I am saving hundreds on fuel costs with an avg 48 mpg in 2009. Plus with my engine upgrades I now blow the doors off almost any Honda or Toyota in acceleration...

I love this vehicle and would highly recommend it to anyone with even just basic wrenching ability.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deezler For This Useful Post:
alohaspirit (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Great looking Jetta!

Deezler, that is a sharp looking car. I am impressed with your mods that look good and improve efficiency. These turbo-diesels are great. They are zippy/fun to drive and frugal with fuel too.

Aloha, I have had a couple of minor issues that were covered under warranty (EGR cooler and glow plug recall) new tires and that's about it in 50,000 miles. The 2004 models require a VW specific oil grade of synthetic oil (505.01). Fuel filter and oil and filter every 10,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Reply  Post New Thread