View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #132 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My 2002 Honda Insight and my 1994 Civic VX are a good comparison.

Both have 52 k miles, while one is 8 years older than the other,

The VX has needed no replacements other than normal maintenance. Even the fan belts are original. Tires were replaced due to dry rot and timing belt was replaced as a precautionary measure.

The Insight is at the dealership now. In the last 15 months it has had the 02 sensor replaced, at my cost. The fuel vapor system kicked on the check engine light, they wanted to replace the filler neck and other parts for over $600. I replaced the gas cap and so far its working OK but it does not screw in easily.

The catalytic converter started rattling in it's housing and they replaced it under warranty ($2200). Now the hybrid battery and BCM are bad and that is also under warranty, probably another $2500 + under warranty.

If the CVT goes out that's over $5000 and you can't get the parts to repair the transmission.

The Insight averages 65 MPG and the VX averages 55 MPG.

Spent $10k for the Insight and I bought the VX back from my buddy for $3500, after I spent more than that rebuilding it and sold it to him, then he sold it back to me when he had back problems and could not drive a stick anymore.

If I had to choose one or the other and I knew I had to drive it another 150k miles, I would take the VX without hesitation.

At 200k miles I would bet the VX would be worth more, even if it was 8 years from now, and it was legally an antique in Virginia.

I had a 2001 Toyota Echo with 78 k miles. If I had to own a newer car, it would probably be something like the Echo, with no options whatsoever, maybe AC.

At $500 + to fix a power window, I can crank them up. $2000 for power steering, I can live with a manual. So much junk on cars today I don't need or care about. The problem with all that junk is it costs a fortune to fix when it goes bad. Cable operated window regulators, YUK, you can keep them. Drive by wire, well we are seeing what can happen with that system, and it will only get worse when the effects of a decade of corrosion starts to cause all kinds of electrical problems.

Look at how long it has taken Toyota to actually fix the problem, and they made the dang cars. Look at how long it has taken them to figure out what is wrong, if they have actually figured it out.

Who knows? What happens if they do all their FIXES, and the thing takes off again without the driver's foot on the gas. Most of the forums I read the blame was on the idiot drivers. Do you really expect people to act perfectly when something scares the crap out of them.

I would, but the wife might not.

Edit, I almost forgot to mention the VX was totalled in the rear end when it was 2 years old. Hit hard enough to break the frame of the back of the drivers seat.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 02-01-2010 at 08:47 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (02-02-2010)