View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
This subject was brought up recently for me...
the difference I added for the car in unique tools recently is a dremel type rotary, and a craftsman 150ft pound torque wrench. FWD axles need a setting.
upon basics, a long time ago now, whole sets of sockets and wrenches, getting any with a warranty is good.
a jack I use is from a 84 monte carlo, mechanical, yet looks like a floor jack, no hydraulics. That has to be 3600 pound capable, lifts the little sube no problems.
jack stands get ingenuity. I realized upon welding the rear end..jack stands and thier typical shapes at the top was useless. A 12 inch by 12 inch log, bricks and squishy shims can work too (keep some chunks of stuff laying around). when jack stands are good to use, they are very cheap to buy.
The sets of common tools, with brand names and warranty are important. you would be amazed at how cheap stuff gets shipped. could end up with chunks in your eyeball at low torque rates unexpected.

my last tool explosion was a torque wrench "master mechanic" (avoid that name) , the top flew off near 140 foot pounds, sounded like a screaming whistle through the air, then stabbed through a cheap metal shed nearby. Holy crap.

get real tools, is all I am saying.