Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A 1/4" drive ratchet/socket set is good for smaller size bolts/nuts in tight places. Also depending on the year/make of your car and how much work you actually plan on doing yourself a good set of torx screwdrivers and torx sockets can come in handy. If you're going to get into any heavy work you'll probably want to invest in a 1/2" drive rachet/socket set and an air or electric impact and impact sockets.

My jack stands are also the ratchet type and one of my floor jacks is either a 2 or 2 1/4 ton cheapo, I've been using it for probably over 10 years without any issues, but I just use it for my own use and not on a daily shop basis. I just bought another floor jack a few months ago because it has the capacity to lift the car an additional 3-4" but so far I haven't used it. As some of the others have said Craftsman makes a good tool with lifetime warranty on their hand tools, but I have also bought some of the higher end tools from Harbor Freight and had good luck with them. Harbor Freight also has lifetime warranty on most of their hand tools, but if you buy them there DON'T go with their cheapo's. I also have an electric impact that I bought at Harbor Freight years ago and it's still as good as the day I bought it. As for a digital multi meter you can pick them up at Harbor Freight really cheap and will be good for most applications. The only time I buy and use really cheap tools is to take to a junk yard and use in case I lay them down and forget them.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
This subject was brought up recently for me...
the difference I added for the car in unique tools recently is a dremel type rotary, and a craftsman 150ft pound torque wrench. FWD axles need a setting.
upon basics, a long time ago now, whole sets of sockets and wrenches, getting any with a warranty is good.
a jack I use is from a 84 monte carlo, mechanical, yet looks like a floor jack, no hydraulics. That has to be 3600 pound capable, lifts the little sube no problems.
jack stands get ingenuity. I realized upon welding the rear end..jack stands and thier typical shapes at the top was useless. A 12 inch by 12 inch log, bricks and squishy shims can work too (keep some chunks of stuff laying around). when jack stands are good to use, they are very cheap to buy.
The sets of common tools, with brand names and warranty are important. you would be amazed at how cheap stuff gets shipped. could end up with chunks in your eyeball at low torque rates unexpected.

my last tool explosion was a torque wrench "master mechanic" (avoid that name) , the top flew off near 140 foot pounds, sounded like a screaming whistle through the air, then stabbed through a cheap metal shed nearby. Holy crap.

get real tools, is all I am saying.

Reply  Post New Thread