View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Geo Metro 1.0L G10 engine rebuild mods for better MPG

I got a quote from Totalseal on gapless compression rings similar to the top rings that come stock on Metro XFi's. All piston ring replacement sets out there (even those labaled as "for XFi models") do not have the gapless style top ring that prevents blowby and increases compression.

Quote:
Hello,
We have Gapless rings for the 3 Cyl Metro
74mm bore

1.2mm top
1.5mm 2nd
2.8mm oil

Gapless Top Ring 3 Cyl set = $169

Gapless 2nd Ring 3 Cyl Set = $135

Complete set of Top, Second and Oil Rings.

If you are ordering 6 or 9 cylinders at a time the price gets a bit
better....
These are suitable for anyone with a 74mm bore, but AFAIK that will generally apply only to those with the 3cyl G10 geo metro engine. I haven't decided if it's more worth it to me to bite the blowby with the gapped ring set that cost about half what these gapless rings are quoted as, but having gapless rings, especially in an XFi where there is only one compression ring seems pretty darned important, and unequivocally beneficial to the efficiency of any 1.0l suzukiclone motor.

Hopefully there will be enough people interested in this to get a nicer price for everyone. I've never done a group buy before, and I don't know if companies are willing to take one lump payment, then ship to individuals or what, but we can figure that all out in the mean time. I'm willing to coordinate this at no profit to myself - I just want to get gapless rings for my XFi rebuild, and help anyone who wants to do something similar. I hope to gather the orders of all interested parties by the end of the month. Please spread the word to whomever may be interested.

-Will