View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Neil -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hi Carlos,

I heard that CTS gets only 3% of their revenue from Toyota, so I'm fairly sure they are making similar units for someone else. Didn't Ford have a "sudden acceleration" problem a couple of years ago? And the Audi 5000 was mentioned...

Yes, and there are other terrible problems -- like Ford trucks bursting into flames sitting in the driveway (at night) -- I think it was a cruise control component overheating...
Oh yeah, Peugeot's getting whacked also :

Peugeot?s German Plans Hurt by Toyota Venture Recalls (Update1) - Bloomberg.com
Quote:
Peugeot said it’s recalling about 10 percent of the C1s and 107s on European roads to fix an accelerator pedal made by Elkhart, Indiana-based CTS Corp. The defective pedals, which can become stuck, have already prompted Toyota to recall at least 4.1 million vehicles in North America and Europe. Over the past decade, 19 deaths have been linked to sudden acceleration of Toyotas, U.S. House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman said last week.
But I want to know if this "plastic friction slider" is an accepted solution by a completely different company. CTS claims it makes the pedals to Toyota specifications. Sooooo, it's a Toyota-engineered design. Maybe someone "did it right", but Toyota goofed.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society