View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
At the same rate, throw a jerkoff driver in the safest car there is, and he'll find a way to wreck it and kill himself. And frankly, if he can do that, I'm not so sure we (as a species) are not better off because of it.
Unless they take one of us safer drivers with them.

I agree with most of the above. It's been a good balanced discussion. I realize that a raw number does not have much weight in a statistical analysis and that vehicle safety has just as much to do with the nut behind the wheel as FE.

As for vehicle safety, the variables are enormous, A small, light car is more maneuverable and resistant to rollover, a heavy car has more inertia and possibly more sheet metal to act as a shock absorber but possibly won't be able to avoid an accident as easily. SUV's have better forward visibility but relatively poor avoidance ability and if they roll the possibility of injury or death skyrockets.

Like so many discussions of "this is better than that" It all comes down to "it depends"

Blanket statements need not apply.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.