View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Help me get EPA with my 01 v8 Dodge CLub cab

The EPA seems to believe that my 01 5.2ltr Auto Dodge RAM Club cab 1/2ton 2wd should get 20mpg on THE HIGHWAY.

However my INSTANTANEOUS fuel economy per the scanguage rarely exceeds 20mpg at any speed unless I am loosing speed or coasting.

I have recently replaced plugs and run over 50psi in the tires. Everything is basically stock all the way around. New filters, decent tires not oversized, not jacked up.

Useing hypermiling techniques WITHOUT drafting I set my record FE of 19.1mpg on the highway average speed 41mph. The most I have ever achieved is 20mpg drafting my fathers motorhome or in town where I have all the trips planned in hilly areas where I can coast most of the time. And yes I only calculate real fuel economy with ODO and Fill ups.

So there have got to be a few mopar guys here what is wrong with my 01 Dodge that it is not possible to even get the instantaneous guage high enough to achieve the EPA rating? It seems my transmission is slushier than I would prefer but after driving another similar dodge seems to be about the same. What can I check? I am at a loss as to why GMs can usually exceed EPA and Dodge can't even make it.

Anyway I had to drive the Dodge the same way I did when I got 38.2mpg with the buick yet unlike the buick I did not exceed EPA by almost 60%

I am stuck with the dodge for a month, possibly more once I start to move my crapola.

Thanx for any suggestions
Ryan