Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Help me get EPA with my 01 v8 Dodge CLub cab

The EPA seems to believe that my 01 5.2ltr Auto Dodge RAM Club cab 1/2ton 2wd should get 20mpg on THE HIGHWAY.

However my INSTANTANEOUS fuel economy per the scanguage rarely exceeds 20mpg at any speed unless I am loosing speed or coasting.

I have recently replaced plugs and run over 50psi in the tires. Everything is basically stock all the way around. New filters, decent tires not oversized, not jacked up.

Useing hypermiling techniques WITHOUT drafting I set my record FE of 19.1mpg on the highway average speed 41mph. The most I have ever achieved is 20mpg drafting my fathers motorhome or in town where I have all the trips planned in hilly areas where I can coast most of the time. And yes I only calculate real fuel economy with ODO and Fill ups.

So there have got to be a few mopar guys here what is wrong with my 01 Dodge that it is not possible to even get the instantaneous guage high enough to achieve the EPA rating? It seems my transmission is slushier than I would prefer but after driving another similar dodge seems to be about the same. What can I check? I am at a loss as to why GMs can usually exceed EPA and Dodge can't even make it.

Anyway I had to drive the Dodge the same way I did when I got 38.2mpg with the buick yet unlike the buick I did not exceed EPA by almost 60%

I am stuck with the dodge for a month, possibly more once I start to move my crapola.

Thanx for any suggestions
Ryan

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
never the easy way

Great White Dope - '92 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)

Great White Hope - '00 Chevrolet Metro LSi
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
A friend of mine had a Ram with the 4.7 that would just drink fuel. I decided to give it a once over and found that both front brakes were dragging and the rear axle was binding up. The axle was above my experience so it ended up in the shop. Turns out there was a problem with the pinion angle or pre-load or something (I never saw the work order). After this was all taken care of his mileage went up by about 20% or so... don't remember if it equaled EPA or not, this was a few years ago.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Connection View Post
A friend of mine had a Ram with the 4.7 that would just drink fuel. I decided to give it a once over and found that both front brakes were dragging and the rear axle was binding up. The axle was above my experience so it ended up in the shop. Turns out there was a problem with the pinion angle or pre-load or something (I never saw the work order). After this was all taken care of his mileage went up by about 20% or so... don't remember if it equaled EPA or not, this was a few years ago.
That actually sounds possible, my dodge doesn't coast very well for how much it weighs. I don't believe brakes are hanging (seems I checked the front)

I do occasionally get a faint grinding when I am sitting at idle, try though I might I can't figure out where it is coming from. Perhaps power steering? Might have to run beltless one day to see.

It must be most dodges break since I know 2 other folks who get the same FE as me with this model dodge. Either that or dodge has a way of tricking the EPA.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
There was a known problem with intake manifold gaskets not sealing properly. Look into this (to pay someone to do it isn't cheap but a kit is only about $150 as I recall); if nothing else, pull spark plugs to see if any two are fouling from adjacent cylinders. The 318/360 isn't known for economy, but extra long service life.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
I would definitely look into the plenum gasket, as that would kill mpg. Also, it is likely that you have the "Death Flash" on the PCM, which cuts back the timing to prevent pinging due to a failed plenum gasket. Due to the reduced timing, it hurts mpg.

These are definitely not efficient engines, but you can probably do a bit better. I get 19 - 20 on the highway at 60-65 with my 5.9, although my Jeep is smaller than your truck. Too bad most of my driving is around town, where there's just no chance (12 - 13).
Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

e85 improves wintertime fuel economy

Oddly enough two tanks in a row of 50/50 mix of e85 w/ mystery oil I've gotten 16.9mpg including 25% short sub 3 mile trips and 75% mid speed and highway. This time of year normally my FE on this set of trips is around 15mpg give or take a half mpg. And add to that I did it at much higher speeds because I am getting better FE at speeds around 60-65mph instead of 40-50mph according to the scanguage.

Strange behavior. I am wondering if it will work out that way in the summer moving my top FE from 18-19 up to 19-20mpg?

Reply  Post New Thread