View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval_Overload View Post
20 amps at 220 volts. From what I have gathered, I need to run 12-3 gauge wire through a 20 amp ganged breaker to a weather proof box with a weather-proof -at-all-times cover.
~Jimbo
Um you do mean 3 12guage wires, right? 20amps isn't exactly that demanding. 220v is non-standard in the US but generally there are 3 wire and 4 wire setups 2 hot in opposing polarities (opposing phase) 1 ground and 1 earth ground.

As for the breaker it isn't that complex if your box already "has" 220v somewhere, in our house just needed to lock an overpriced breaker on an unused bus bar in the existing box and rig appropriate wires off. We have a master shut off so it wasn't tough and not hard to wire.

And Unless you want to pay an electrician, do what my father did (who was an electrician), keep the outlet inside of the garage and have an extension cord to the ev. No sense wasting effort on getting something certified and having that expense and pain, unless you really want to do that? And use water proof stuff in the garage even though you don't need it, just good practice and not expensive if you are doing it yourself.

And yes you generally need ground fault crap which can be challenging to locate locally. (still not bad practice though to have and you can wire a GFI in with a non GFI 220 outlet to have GFI protection just not as good of practice)

Cheers
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Oval_Overload (02-07-2010)