View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 02:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
psmithrt
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2man View Post
My plan was to disable the alt. except when NC or decelerating (the automatic trans keeps the rpm @1100 during NC on hills). I hadn't thought about the higher engine efficiency during acceleration. Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind if the "free" energy isn't enough to keep the battery charged.
I like your idea best of most posted. That is to charge whenever accelerator is off. You stated you have the parts in an earlier post. Can I ask how you plan to cut of alternator with your microswitch.
Also don't quote me on efficiency of engine while accelerating. I believe that is probably it's most innefficient time. I only meant that an ICE is most efficient at WOT and fully loaded. Such as a generator charging a large bank of batteries. Not a car engine while attaining RPM.
I think your idea is a great one if well thought out. I'm just curious how you plan to implement it.

As far as the PCV catch can design I used it can be found here::

http://www.himacresearch.com/books/hydro8.html

Use a wide mouth Ball canning jar and lid. Instead of little V8 can use an empty small tomato paste can. It is actually kind of a cheap knock off of one I seen selling for $150