View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
So maybe we're thinking the quoted price from totalseal was a bit steep? I wouldn't mind taking a crack at making my own gapless rings with a vise and some fancy filing work if I had some junk rings to try it out on. Anyone got old 75-77mm rings to mail to me? What is the likelihood of this working if the filing job were to be flawless? Would a 75-77mm ring still make a perfectly circular compression seal in a 74mm bore if it were made gapless down to 74mm?
I get this weekend all to myself (wife and kid free, not actually to myself), so I'm going to look around at my Father's house and see if I've got any 75mm std bore rings from some old Honda pistons.

If you have a blown Honda engine laying around, it might be worth it to check it out, too. I know your one friend was having trouble, dunno what happened with that.

I would think that 1 or 2mm should be within tolerance for rings seating properly, but don't take my word for it.

Side note - Are you going to be at PAP this weekend, and should I bring anything with me?