View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 07:20 AM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
k.civic.f4i
recession proof rebel

92-95 civic passenger mirror delete how to

this is a "how to" on creating a mirror delete from an old broken passenger mirror.

required:

-broken passenger mirror(free from the junkyard)
-tape of some sort (painters tape preferable)
-small can of bondo (smallest can)
-small can of fiberglass resin (smallest can)
-sandpaper (80 grit, 320 grit, one page of each)
-high build primer
-flat black spray paint( i prefer the finish of krylon)

suggested:

-latex gloves
-mask
-eye protection
-hand-sized block sander
-bondo spreader

first break and grind off the remains of what once held a mirror. safety first. protect your eyes and fingers. try to cut/grind it as flush as possible here. for some reason honda decided to use a porcelain material for their oem mirror bases. yours may be plastic(so much easier).

tape off the holes you created and try to make this look as close to the finished shape as possible. FLUSH

next turn it over, mix some resin with the provided hardener and pour into the holes

let it harden and peel off the tape. you should have something like this:

now take some 80 grit sand paper and sand it down. a hand-sized block sander is helpful. everywhere you plan on applying bondo should look like this in order for it to grab the material:

apply a thin layer of bondo.

sand down big imperfections with the 80 grit you used earlier to get the basic shape. after the big imperfections are gone use the 320 grit to get it perfect for the primer.

go over this again with a THIN layer of bondo if you can feel any imperfections that can't be corrected by more sanding(low spots).

apply primer using thin even coats. the high build primer is used to fill in the teeth left by the sand paper. i used 2 layer of primer. you may only need to apply 1 layer depending on the quality of primer you bought. make sure to cover all of the bondo.

spray the final coat of paint using thin even coats. spray at somewhat of a distance to avoid drips. if you do get drips sand the entire piece with 600 grit and respray.

viola. and mounted

critiques, advice and thoughts please

true wealth comes from good health and wise ways

Last edited by k.civic.f4i; 02-16-2010 at 06:24 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to k.civic.f4i For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (03-31-2011), Cd (02-17-2010), Christ (02-16-2010), Fr3AkAzOiD (09-07-2010), NachtRitter (02-18-2010)