View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
OP: moonmonkey: i know basjoos has this double wall skirt system, but i have also heard that the skirt should not extend below the bottom pan of the car,. does the fact that its double wall counter act that?
I think Phil mentioned that skirts should not extend below the lowest point on the car but I think he was mainly talking about front skirts (dams) and rear skirts. The clearance issues may be the biggest issues but the front and rear are more sensitive to low body extensions. Low skirts not be acceptable to some people but mine seem fine at 4". I may even add rubber edges to make it even more extreme.

I do think that the front air dam should be matched to the aero mods to the rear of it. If there is a lot of air coming in the front and you add side skirts suddenly you have blocked off an exit for all that air, increasing pressure drag, but if you have reduced the amount being forced under by the right proportion, then drag should be reduced.

Along with Aero Civic, this is my inspiration. I bet if obstacle clearance were not an issue this would have full side skirts.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.