View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
RIZOBIZERT
EcoModding Lurker

Noob in search of help with Integra

Hi Ecomodder members,

I currently drive a Civic hatch, EG. I like to drive fast on occasion and the Civic stinks in this area. I also enjoy saving fuel and spending less money so I'm trying for the best of both worlds. I've decided to scrap the hatch which has a 2006 RSX-S K20 in it. I'm going to swap everything into a 1994 Integra RS (no moon roof). I have another Integra I'll be swapping the ABS off of. I'd like performance, safety and fuel efficiency. I've had the moon roof come unglued twice on my Civic at 120 mph, yes, I know, the fuel efficiency was terrible at that speed. I figure better aerodynamics will make the vehicle go faster and accelerate faster with the same horsepower I have now. Despite the Integra being heavier than my hatch the aerodynamics are well worth the 200-300 lbs. in weight. I'm going to build an under body tray, rear diffuser and block off some of the front air dam area. I'm utilizing a Kpro and I have the ability to run lean when at partially throttle and rich when full throttle. I can play with the timing and cam advance as well. At this point there is more that the Kpro can do than I know how to do, so I'm figuring things out slowly. I was also thinking of building a Kammback. I know the rear of the Integra is less than that of my hatch, but I'd like to see how much it improves things. I'm running short gears with the transmission and I know a higher gear would help, but I enjoy the tight gearing. I would consider a taller 6th gear for the highway as I'm turning about 4000 RPM at 70-75 mph. In my hatch I'm getting 36 mpg, but this is not accurate as my speedo is registering more miles than I am traveling (smaller diameter wheels). I would guess it is somewhere between 30-34 mpg in truth. I'm keeping my outside mirrors despite them being dirty air. I tow a variety of trailers on occasion and I like to see as much as possible. I'm willing to sacrifice that mpg. I was considering building rear wheel covers for the quarter panels and I've been very impressed by the aerocivic. What I'd like to do is get the best mpg I can and still be able to romp on a GT Mustang. I'm currently just a bit faster than a GT Mustang up to about 80 or so, I let up at that point, no need for a ticket. This was from a standing start. So, I want the best of all worlds as you can see. I was even thinking of building a shield just behind the radiator and in front of the motor to direct air up and through the top of the hood (cut a hole in the hood to exhaust the air). I don't know if I'd have enough room for this as I don't have the engine in yet, but I'd like to get some thoughts on that. In all the aerodynamic builds I want to keep the car planted and I was even considering a Type R wing as it is actually supposed to be functional. This is a long way off, so I'll see how the car drives without it. Okay, a little bit of everything, fuel efficiency, power, safety, lend me your thoughts.

Thanks for your constructive comments in advance.