View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Hello -

I am not an authority, but I have read on forums that the higher temp means that the engine is running more efficiently. The analogy would be a cold engine in the morning that does not become "efficient" until it is all warmed up.

If you are an auto manufacturer, I think that you are engineering with two goals in mind. Efficiency *and* reliability. The "balanced" response is to get the engine to be hot enough to run efficiently, but cool enough to be as far away from the "overheat zone" as possible. If you want reliability, you choose the T-Stat that gives you that compromise.

Also, you are designing the cooling system for the broad majority spectrum of drivers. Most drivers are not the "feather foots" that we are, so the cooling system needs to serve their driving habits, not ours.

As an Ecomodder, we are doing mods that "push" the engine for more fuel efficiency. As a result, we have to monitor the engine's health to a greater degree. We have to be vigilant, just like someone who puts a high-performance mod onto their car.

I have the hotter T-Stat. I used to run at about 180 degrees F. Now I run at 190 degrees F.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society