View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
What you'll find is that it's inconclusive. Some it does some it doesn't. No one here has a dyno where you can test it and the tank to tank variabilities make it impossible to do A-B-A testing.
But not impossible to compare longer averages. And it is pretty cut and dry what it does.

Also Even if there were a dyno to test it each vehicle type responds differently to it as it just messes up your sensors, old vehicles carb'd will exhibit one type of behavior, OBDI still different, OBDII different and wideband still another outcome.

So the only way to know would be to verify your vehicle is 100% ethanol compatible and in good running order and run tests on sets of trips you run often (you have to have a pretty good routine to tell), it will either show a slight gain, a slight loss or no effect depending on the vehicles sensors. The amount of the gain or loss will let you know whether you can trust its having an effect.

If you get a slight gain and your vehicle is safe to use ethanol and you are willing to loose a fuel pump continue and see if the trend continues.

If you have an A/F sensor you can tell immediately if acetone is tricking your sensors. Scanguage can tell you as well if it goes and gives non-sense type FE.

As a side note a 50/50 mix of e85 and 89octain e10 makes my v8 Dodge get better wintertime FE, I will keep a running average again and see if it continues but I drive ALMOST EXACTLY the same routes repeatably in the same way every day every week, every year. Only differences are temperature and wind. 3rd tank with an increase in a row, same FE each time, this tank I haven't been good so I will have to see how much of a real effect it has on my FE for the week.

Cheers
Ryan