View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
My setup is a megasquirt computer with wideband O2, audio knock detector, and EGT sensor so I can monitor and adjust anything about the engine. Acetone will change the fuel tune and slightly change the spark tuning. Once you retune the engine to run correctly with it then you are right back to exactly the same mpg as before as long as the fuel system was clean and in good shape to start with.

A dirty engine will get better mileage with acetone or any other small bottle of injector cleaner stuff. But after a few tanks you can stop using it and get the same mileage. A stock computer car might get better mileage with acetone all the time but it is because the engine is out of tune slightly. I would rather not make the engine run out of tune due to increased wear from lean running or knock. You can accomplish the same thing by messing with the signals from the O2 sensor and not bother with the acetone.

I say if your car calls for 87 octane but runs like crap on it now or it doesn't idle as good as it did when it was new then run acetone in it for 4-6 tanks to get it cleaned up. I would prob run like 1oz per gallon so it will be strong enough to actually clean it quickly. Once it is clean I would quit using it. I run it in my cars every so often since it is much cheaper than injector cleaner and does the same job. Every 5-10 tanks or so I might mix in 3oz per 10 gal just to keep everything clean.