View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Nerds are cool
(That's my definition of 'cool')

Clev is right about there being smart people who can be popular. And there are non-popular, non-smart teens, too. It's not mutually exclusive, but there is something true about smart/ugly being a lower catagory than nice looking teens who make up for their lack of advanced intelligence.

I went to junior high school in the US. The popular crowd ('A' category) was made up of white, good looking kids with rich parents. Kids who where not rich, or not white, or just plain ugly, had almost no chance. If you weren't pretty, but could afford NIKE's, and you didn't take the schoolbus but your folks drove you to school, then you still could make it into the 'B' category. Almost all of the populars were in the football, soccer or lacrosse team, none of them spent much (or any) time in the library, or were in the Star Trek club, etc. A jock beating up (psysically or verbally) someone from a lower category was OK, but not vice versa.

At some point, not without sacrifices, I got my first pair of NIKE's. At around the same time, I flunked one subject and got into some trouble, and guess what? My popularity went up! Sad, but true. But soon my life took a dramatic U-turn for the much better and, well, here I am.

Yes, grown-ups see that losing sleep over school popularity is nonsense, but it's not easy to explain that to kids who already think they are smarter than their old folks. But seems to be a universal properties of teenagers.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread