View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
My final answer....

conspiracy side:

* LaPointe mentions being warned by people in the petro industry not to push acetone...my guess is his graph topping at 3 oz per 10 gallons was a compromise...I'd have to guess he was actually using more.

* acetone has a history of use in racing

* India (?) bans use of acetone in motorcycles

* What he has posted online SEEMS cohesive and legit

* acetone is easy to make and occurs naturally to some extent

* IF...what this guy claims is true...it would put the lie to a 3 trillion $ set of wars...due to the probability that a stationary type engine could be set up to run very efficiently and at a regulated speed in a hybrid....not to mention typical automotive use. Too many people with too much to lose and big egg on their faces?

scam side:

* state and fed cops will be (are?) all over this guy...and probably will just assume it's a scam...they don't all drive big Fords with blacked out windows

* he has had his website hacked...as happens often at mpgresearch.com...sponsored hackers?

* I haven't verified an mpg gain with acetone myself.

* If it were legit...other people would know about it?

* guy is running around with 90 mpg plastered on the side of his car...local yokel problems?

Either way he is looking at big problems? He does offer or has offered info for $ as to how to set this up on a car...but the few $ this might bring in couldn't be worth the hassle it brings?

note: I'm not just dishing dirt on this guy..never met him and haven't emailed him...I'm just curious as to what it's all about. At this point I am leaning somewhat towards it being legit. But there are many people who wouldn't want the truth of it to come out though....so there will be much pressure to make it all disappear...and to smear it.

If it is legit...I wouldn't want to be this guy.

If it isn't legit...I wouldn't want to be this guy.

note: one reason I still think acetone "works" is that LaPointe said it did...and he tested out on the highway using no driving techniques...and using tank refills along with a scangauge to confirm...or vice versa. LaPointe eventually went with an additive injector instead of adding acetone and other additives to the gas...plus a fuel heater and EFIE. Hard to say how much he was using.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Last edited by suspectnumber961; 03-10-2010 at 08:24 AM..