View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #38 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Guess I'll have to give it a try, someday.

What are the chances of just measuring the dry weight of moth balls and tossing them in a gas can and agitating until it dissolves? Seems like that would be a bit safer, I guess.

Is there other stuff in moth balls that could do damage to the fuel system, etc.?
Be carefull, one mothball is not like another only old fashioned NAP works the other crap will make HCL in your exhaust. Also make sure its pure 99.99% and usually the box is labled with weight 12oz per box Which is fine if you use more your FE drops, less your FE drops but each car is slightly different so experimentation would be needed.

The only side effects of nap that I know of are deposites (in the fuel line) Usually again from extreme cold or not being dissolved much like too much sugar in a glass of lemonaid.
And if your motor does not tune automatically the nap massively affects timing so you can end up with carbon black on old cars usually fowling your plugs, On mine it had very little effect on anything and the plugs were fine But both my vehicles are OBDII. And timeing did move about 5 degrees per my guage if I can trust it.

The trouble with the stuff is how to get it in the gas, it takes literally weeks to partially dissolve entire balls but as powder the stuff dissolves instantly.

I guess if you could figure a way of getting it dissolved more safely I am all ears as I would definately test again if I could avoid killing myself.

The balls are hard like glass and really don't dissolve very well.

What I thought of doing was dissolving in E85 or acetone but I was told there was a problem with doing that. Not sure what nap will dissolve in besides benzene (gasp worse than nap)

More or less unless I build an enclosed hammermill that mixes with gas I think I am done with them.

Cheers
Ryan