Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
So how much of a fuel economy increase did it provide in your car?

Did what he say would happen happen?

And if you actually want to test something, powder 12oz of pure napathlene in a safe well ventilated area with a mask, making sure face and cloths cannot get contaminated.

Add to 4 gallons of gas and blend.

Burn this mixture in an OBDII power car AKA 96+

Report back what happens.

Unlike other crappy additives this one works but is a HUGE pain in the arse and dangerous to your health.
I've tested napathlene, but if you use too much it makes carbon black...smokey exhaust...plus stinks like whatever. You can only keep so much of it in suspension depending on temps...any more and it precipitates out....but probably would just hang in your fuel filter till it dissolves again.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
I've tested napathlene, but if you use too much it makes carbon black...smokey exhaust...plus stinks like whatever. You can only keep so much of it in suspension depending on temps...any more and it precipitates out....but probably would just hang in your fuel filter till it dissolves again.
Sounds like you didn't follow directions, OBDII <- Again this trick DOES NOT WORK in a non-automatically tuning car, works just fine OBDII without excess smoke your timing will just turn WAAAYYY back. Low end power improves, exhaust is cooler and FE jumps. Added to an OBDI or Carburated setup your power decreases, car runs like molasses and your spark plugs fowl unless you retime the thing...

Powdered it is 100% dissolvable in bezene which means 4% of fuel (give or take) can be nap

Cheers
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
suspectnumber961 (03-11-2010)
Old 03-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Sounds like you didn't follow directions, OBDII <- Again this trick DOES NOT WORK in a non-automatically tuning car, works just fine OBDII without excess smoke your timing will just turn WAAAYYY back. Low end power improves, exhaust is cooler and FE jumps. Added to an OBDI or Carburated setup your power decreases, car runs like molasses and your spark plugs fowl unless you retime the thing...

Powdered it is 100% dissolvable in bezene which means 4% of fuel (give or take) can be nap

Cheers
Ryan
What kind of FE jump can we figure on?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
What kind of FE jump can we figure on?
Its well, rather large. But it depends on the motor, old iron like buick 3.8's Dodges v6/v8's and 350's respond better than newer smaller motors.

I personally fear the stuff myself, inhaled nap powder CAN kill you afterall.

Test it if you wonder use the amount I specify, key is it MUST be powdered and dissolved in the gas before you pour it in, until I find a hands off way of doing it NEVER again! I ruined a set of gloves, a pot, a pillow sham (too keep it from flying in my face) and some other crapola during my test.

And yes If I find a SAFE way of doing so I will do it again on my OBDII stuff.

Not even getting in the proper amount I was up 20% on that tank, in other words it would pay for the $2 a box cost especially as fuel continues on the way above $2.00 Very few additives I know of that pay for themselves plus a little more.

And the only thing a little nap will do is if you don't dissolve it, it can clog your fuel filter. It was used in our gas during WWII in rather large amounts Also on vehicles that are not OBDII it can and will fowl spark plugs and exhaust ports unless you retime the thing.

Personally too much risk to improve FE but worthwhile if you have a safe way of powdering/mixing the stuff.

Cheers
Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Its well, rather large. But it depends on the motor, old iron like buick 3.8's Dodges v6/v8's and 350's respond better than newer smaller motors.

I personally fear the stuff myself, inhaled nap powder CAN kill you afterall.

Test it if you wonder use the amount I specify, key is it MUST be powdered and dissolved in the gas before you pour it in, until I find a hands off way of doing it NEVER again! I ruined a set of gloves, a pot, a pillow sham (too keep it from flying in my face) and some other crapola during my test.

And yes If I find a SAFE way of doing so I will do it again on my OBDII stuff.

Not even getting in the proper amount I was up 20% on that tank, in other words it would pay for the $2 a box cost especially as fuel continues on the way above $2.00 Very few additives I know of that pay for themselves plus a little more.

And the only thing a little nap will do is if you don't dissolve it, it can clog your fuel filter. It was used in our gas during WWII in rather large amounts Also on vehicles that are not OBDII it can and will fowl spark plugs and exhaust ports unless you retime the thing.

Personally too much risk to improve FE but worthwhile if you have a safe way of powdering/mixing the stuff.

Cheers
And the potential environmental impacts, of course, probably outweigh any gains you'd see.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #36 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
And the potential environmental impacts, of course, probably outweigh any gains you'd see.
Actually it burns cleanly, I would venture to say emissions would stay the same. Nap is only one carbon bigger than octane and the heavy ends of gasoline are much longer than that from what I remember.

Afterall Nap is already in your gasoline, that .5-1.5% burns fine now whats another 3%?
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Christ (03-10-2010)
Old 03-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #37 (permalink)

Guess I'll have to give it a try, someday.

What are the chances of just measuring the dry weight of moth balls and tossing them in a gas can and agitating until it dissolves? Seems like that would be a bit safer, I guess.

Is there other stuff in moth balls that could do damage to the fuel system, etc.?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #38 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Guess I'll have to give it a try, someday.

What are the chances of just measuring the dry weight of moth balls and tossing them in a gas can and agitating until it dissolves? Seems like that would be a bit safer, I guess.

Is there other stuff in moth balls that could do damage to the fuel system, etc.?
Be carefull, one mothball is not like another only old fashioned NAP works the other crap will make HCL in your exhaust. Also make sure its pure 99.99% and usually the box is labled with weight 12oz per box Which is fine if you use more your FE drops, less your FE drops but each car is slightly different so experimentation would be needed.

The only side effects of nap that I know of are deposites (in the fuel line) Usually again from extreme cold or not being dissolved much like too much sugar in a glass of lemonaid.
And if your motor does not tune automatically the nap massively affects timing so you can end up with carbon black on old cars usually fowling your plugs, On mine it had very little effect on anything and the plugs were fine But both my vehicles are OBDII. And timeing did move about 5 degrees per my guage if I can trust it.

The trouble with the stuff is how to get it in the gas, it takes literally weeks to partially dissolve entire balls but as powder the stuff dissolves instantly.

I guess if you could figure a way of getting it dissolved more safely I am all ears as I would definately test again if I could avoid killing myself.

The balls are hard like glass and really don't dissolve very well.

What I thought of doing was dissolving in E85 or acetone but I was told there was a problem with doing that. Not sure what nap will dissolve in besides benzene (gasp worse than nap)

More or less unless I build an enclosed hammermill that mixes with gas I think I am done with them.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:

Cheers
Ryan
Good info...since I'm still lost in the 80s...I can't test this as you outline....at least I know which way to turn the timing.

Here is a patent that uses mothballs... 3925031 ...good explanation of how it works.

At around 70F...I had about 20 mothballs dissolved in a pint of gasoline...in cooler weather it precipitates out.

"Naphthalene is a white, volatile aromatic hydrocarbon with characteristic odor; insoluble in water, somewhat soluble in methanol/ethanol, soluble in organic solvents and very soluble in ether, chloroform, or carbon disulfide.

In order to develop a rapid, simple test to differentiate toxic naphthalene from the less toxic mothball ingredient paradichlorobenzene, both types of mothballs were dissolved in isopropyl alcohol, ethanol, methanol, and turpentine. Twenty-five naphthalene and 25 paradichlorobenzene mothballs were weighed, randomly grouped, and then dissolved in the solvents. After 30 minutes, the mothballs were reweighed.

Isopropyl alcohol, ethanol, and methanol did not differentially dissolve the mothballs fast enough to provide a useful test.

Turpentine, however, dissolved paradichlorobenzene at a much more rapid rate than naphthalene (P less than .001). After 60 minutes, all of the paradichlorobenzene mothballs had dissolved, while at least 25% of the naphthalene remained. Thus, when confronted with an ingestion of unlabeled mothballs, the physician could gain preliminary information regarding possible toxicity by dissolving a remaining mothball in turpentine for 60 minutes.

For example, at room temperature, naphthalene is insoluble in ethanol and water, but soluble in toluene and acetone. If there is still solid remaining, clamp the tube and heat it in the water bath until the solvent boils. Swirl the tube and make note of whether or not the compound dissolves. After heating, naphthalene is still insoluble in water, but it is now soluble in hot ethanol.

These are naphthalene crystals, they form in seconds from a drop of liquid naphthalene , (solidifies @ 80C), put onto a glass slide:-

naphthalene crystals > soluable in hexane (component of gasoline) and acetone"

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Reply  Post New Thread