View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #39 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Sounds like you didn't follow directions, OBDII <- Again this trick DOES NOT WORK in a non-automatically tuning car, works just fine OBDII without excess smoke your timing will just turn WAAAYYY back. Low end power improves, exhaust is cooler and FE jumps. Added to an OBDI or Carburated setup your power decreases, car runs like molasses and your spark plugs fowl unless you retime the thing...

Powdered it is 100% dissolvable in bezene which means 4% of fuel (give or take) can be nap

Cheers
Ryan
Good info...since I'm still lost in the 80s...I can't test this as you outline....at least I know which way to turn the timing.

Here is a patent that uses mothballs... 3925031 ...good explanation of how it works.

At around 70F...I had about 20 mothballs dissolved in a pint of gasoline...in cooler weather it precipitates out.

"Naphthalene is a white, volatile aromatic hydrocarbon with characteristic odor; insoluble in water, somewhat soluble in methanol/ethanol, soluble in organic solvents and very soluble in ether, chloroform, or carbon disulfide.

In order to develop a rapid, simple test to differentiate toxic naphthalene from the less toxic mothball ingredient paradichlorobenzene, both types of mothballs were dissolved in isopropyl alcohol, ethanol, methanol, and turpentine. Twenty-five naphthalene and 25 paradichlorobenzene mothballs were weighed, randomly grouped, and then dissolved in the solvents. After 30 minutes, the mothballs were reweighed.

Isopropyl alcohol, ethanol, and methanol did not differentially dissolve the mothballs fast enough to provide a useful test.

Turpentine, however, dissolved paradichlorobenzene at a much more rapid rate than naphthalene (P less than .001). After 60 minutes, all of the paradichlorobenzene mothballs had dissolved, while at least 25% of the naphthalene remained. Thus, when confronted with an ingestion of unlabeled mothballs, the physician could gain preliminary information regarding possible toxicity by dissolving a remaining mothball in turpentine for 60 minutes.

For example, at room temperature, naphthalene is insoluble in ethanol and water, but soluble in toluene and acetone. If there is still solid remaining, clamp the tube and heat it in the water bath until the solvent boils. Swirl the tube and make note of whether or not the compound dissolves. After heating, naphthalene is still insoluble in water, but it is now soluble in hot ethanol.

These are naphthalene crystals, they form in seconds from a drop of liquid naphthalene , (solidifies @ 80C), put onto a glass slide:-

naphthalene crystals > soluable in hexane (component of gasoline) and acetone"

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL