View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #262 (permalink)
captainslug
Misanthropologist

BORK! - '89 Volvo 240 DL Wagon
90 day: 21.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc View Post
I am a treadmill service tech by day - i have been working on treadmills for well over 10 years. Looking at that motor you bought, i can't help but wonder if you are going to be under-powered yet again..

Please let me know your thoughts on motor power and single chain/large sprocket....
The constant rating for this motor is double that of the motors I had been using previously. For the most part I achieved the performance I wanted with the previous motors, but their armatures couldn't handle the higher RPMs they were experiencing at higher voltages. So it wasn't an issue of the wattage rating of the motor, but the voltage and speed at which it was intended to be run at.

My performance goals are rather low. I simply want to be able to reach a maximum speed between 38mph and 42mph. Acceleration being comparable to that of a 50cc bike.

I don't really have the need or budget for anything more powerful. If your goals are much higher than mine, then obviously you'll want a more substantial battery pack, controller, and motor.

And the choice of using a two-stage reduction was due to the need to have flexibility in ratios, not being able to mount the motor that low, and not wanting to have a huge final sprocket (which would both weigh a good deal, and look ugly).