Thread: Malibu Hybrid
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Malibu Hybrid

Hello!

I am getting different "eco-vehicle" dealers to come out to an Earth Day Event at the end of April.

Somebody suggested that I call the local Chevy dealer because there is now a Hybrid version of the Malibu.

I looked up the specs on it, and unless I am reading wrong, the hybrid version gets 2 mpg better than the standard - 2!

"Powered by the standard 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine and a 36-volt electric motor/generator, the Malibu Hybrid produces a respectable 164 horsepower and 159 pound-feet of torque. This is the same mild-hybrid Belt Alternator Starter system found in the Aura Green Line Hybrid. Fuel economy rates at an efficient 24 city/32 highway, but is surprisingly only two miles per gallon better than the gas-powered four-cylinder Malibu. The difference is so insignificant that it almost makes the hybrid system unnecessary."

The regular smaller engine version of the Malibu gets 22/30 and the hybrid gets 24/32.

Should I even bother inviting a Malibu Hybrid dealer to the event? Is ANY fuel economy a good thing and I definately SHOULD invite them?

I have very mixed feelings on this.

All comments welcome.

-Ben

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos