View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
I thought so too but I realized I was always "wanting" to shift at 50mph as if the car really needed a 6th gear IE the engine was racing faster than I would have liked so instinctively I tried to shift (thank got for that reverse lock out !!)

so one time I said what the heck lets see what happens if I slow down to where the engine "sounded" proper for that gear. I was pleasantly surprised by a 5+mpg boost!

I like to keep my rpm's around 1600-1800 but always under 2000 if I can help it.

I have over 75 miles on the new gasoline.

NOW I fully 100% admit I have nothing to back this. Its just a gut feeling and it almost certaintly is in my head.

The car "FEELS" better. the engine sounds better. Less vibrations smoother. Less shakes at idle. The engine shakes less (I looked) and the stick vibrates less and I swear its quieter.

so far the FE is identical or better than before I am definitely NOT burning gas faster for sure. My gut says I am going better but I won't know with any sort of certaintly till I hit 200 miles (which will be on friday)

so far the "needle" is lagging behind where it usually it at this point but that could be anything (ie it should be further down and its not which is a positive sign)

and this includes being stuck in bumper to bumper sub 10mph traffic for 30 minutes (I accidentally went the wrong way on the turnpike and discovered exist 326 SUCKS big time :-) took forever to make it back around to get back on the turnpike.

I tried to drive like I normally drive. I intentionally NEVER turned the engine off for FAS or EOC etc.. ie Just drove it like a normal person being my usual slow careful self to save gas.

IF I see positive results the next step is a $200 expense so I want to make certain its worth going to that next step or not :-)