View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
My car has a Cougar controller, my motorcycle has an Alltrax, and my friend Chris is building a drive-shaft cycle with a Cougar controller (700 amp version!)

The additional voltage of the Cougar isn't a huge help on a cycle, because cycles are typically lower voltage than cars, just because of how many batteries you can physically fit.

I remember Ryland mentioning the idea a while back of doing kits or just building EV cycles for other people. A name-brand controller may help buyers being more accepting of it, especially having a warranty. I did have a problem once with the Alltrax controller (replaced for free under warranty - their fault - manufacturing defect) and a problem with my Cougar controller (my fault - I screwed up - I had to fix it)

On Chris' EV cycle, we may try to go with a fairly high pack voltage - which will make the cycle INSANELY fun!

In short, I think a stock Alltrax or Curtis would be better for turn-key, semi-mass produced cycles, and the Cougar better for Custom/Fun/Special cycles.

One thing important on an EV cycle is that you have adjustments for your controller throttle response!!!!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos