View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
So far its liking the gas just fine. Someone I talked with today suggested that my fear over the presence of water in my washed gas might explain it running smoothly now. He said they used to use water injection to boost equivalent octane or something like that something about compensating for lower octane in higher performance engines. Smoothing out the flame front or something.

he said this might be why its "ok" on the lower octane fuel. thankfully it is definatly not hurting my FE

I am at over 300 miles on just over 1/2 the fuel gauge used so around 4.5 to 5 gallons of gas used so far at a "guess"

IF that guess is accurate I am tracking for 60mpg+ tank which would seem to confirm my issue with ethanol. I will hold the huray till I fill up. I have 5 more gallons of gas washed 3 more in process and another 3 gallons I will start tommorrow. By tomorrow night sunday I will need a fill up so its just in time :-)

this time I will maybe drive further to say 500 miles (if its looking good) before filling up so I can get more ethanol free gas in the mix tan 7 gallons.

I should definately be able to get 8 gallons in and then "top up" at wawa on premium.

I do this for 2 reasons. it solves my problem of how the heck do I determine how many gallons I put in? whole gallons are easy its that last partial gallon thats a bugger.

second how do I know "how much" i have filled up. well thats solved too. I fill to first click then to next dollar every time and the needle is always in roughly the same spot. (if I top it up the needle is in a very different position)

if the FE is truly up then its time to plan a trip to allentown for some E0 real gas so I can remove anything I am "doing" to the gas out of the equation.

I already have 5 5gallon gas cans so I would need say 3 more for 40 gallons of E0 (plus I will fill the car when I get their)

figuring 8 gallon fill ups on average thats enough roughly 5 fill ups.

enough for me to go 3 tanks on E0 2 tanks on E10 2 tanks on E0 2 tanks on E10

that should be a pretty conclusive aba testing I would think.

none except 3 of 1 will be pure (E0) or close to it but it should be "enough" to show a significant change in FE if there is any.