View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #44 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
?? so toilet paper filters will remove the water but let the gasoline pass? how does that work? toilet paper seems to absorb gasoline as readily as water.

also I think I figured out my woes this tank. This tank started off REALLY bad I mean the gsa needle was almost visibly going down like it was getting 30mpg or worse!

but I also noticed I had what "felt" like a lot of extra power. it also takes more cranks to start up cold. (warm starts are still instant)

I think what happened is that I hit a critical mass of washed gas and this caused what E10 was inside the tank to "phase separate" on me resulting in overnight sits having some water at the bottom maybe?.

this is a minor threat since the car uses a recirculating fuel delivery system so it gets "mixed up" again rather quickly.

so instead of going back to a 70/30 mix to confirm I am going to go full on washed and see what happens in theory this fill up in a few days will have so little E10 left in the tank that any resultant loose water should be gone by then and we will see what happens.

after about a third of a tank this time suddenly the mpg is skyrocketing again. So much so that I almost caught up to where I normally am! I am hoping that means the "water" is gone now.

we shall see.

any more details on the filter? we are talking about potentially half a gallon of water per run. where would the water go? water sits at the bottom since its heavier than gas so how would the gas "get" to the filter?

First while I recorded 54.24 mpg I think I actually got 56.9mpg. When I filled up I filled to the top of the neck IE I could see gas and it did not go down anymore. this is about half a gallon more than a "normal" fill. BUT I want to keep to actual verifiable numbers. I did not measure 56.9 so I won't use it. If its accurate it will show in the long haul.

On the next tank as I mentioned I "upped" the washed gas content to over 85%

this tank started BAD. car still ran great in fact it had more power than usual. But the FE was horrid the gauge was dropping and dropping fast! I was like what the heck?

I know gas holds some water especially with me washing it like I am. Maybe I hit a critical mass of water and it was starting to hurt my FE ? (and would explain the apparent extra power but that could just be my imagination)

I was going to cut back on the washed gas and fill up with 3.6 gallons of regular and then add washed gas to fill (ie the same ratio as the first tank)

but then it hit me. it also took more cranks to stat up in the morning. instead of the usual instant start it took 6+ seconds of cranking (always started normal I just noticed this odd delay)

warm starts are still near instant.

then it hit me. I now have over 85% maybe over 90% washed gas. its possible this amount of water contaminated washed gas "INDUCED" the water in the 1-2 gallons of E10 still in the tank to "phase separate" spontaneously.

ie I would be getting a nice "dose" of water gas in the morning as the tank settles! thankfully these cars use recirculation delivery. I think you guys told me that and its what caused me to want to attempt this IE no chance of a continuous water supply damaging my engine since its always being "stirred up"

THIS might explain it. Why do I think this? after about 130 miles of horrid scary FE (but no bad behaviour) suddenly its gone. The starts are a little faster and the FE is sky rocketing (again seat of the pants feel by looking at the fuel gauge so its NOT accurate or scientific)

IE maybe the water is gone or almost all gone. The solution then is NOT to go backwards but to stop using E10 all together and use washed fuel only otherwise I invite another bout of phase separation.

So thats what I will do. I am going to build another rig since its only $6 in parts and I already have another water bottle and I am going to let it decant for an extra long time to get as much water out as possible and keep going. If I continue to get positive results I will start planning the trip to allentown.

I now have 5 5 gallon gas cans. I figure I need 3 more so I can get at least 40 gallons of fuel for some long term ABA testing. Now that I know I have a separation issue when mixing washed and unwashed fuel So I though I needed to figure out how to solve that or at least minimize its side effects.

Then I realized the PROPER E0 from allentown won't be WASHED gas it will be normal ethanol free regular gasoline! so it won't be an issue at all!

If I were to ABA my washed gas it would be an issue but I have no plan to do that since this is just to determine if its worth making the trip to allentown.

So onward and upward :-) 249 miles to half tank mark and thats with HORRID HORRID FE the first 130 miles so I have almost caught back up!

IF my guess is correct the next tank with almost zero E10 in it should be really good :-)

Last edited by Nerys; 03-30-2010 at 04:54 PM..