View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
MARTINSR
EcoModding Apprentice

The SHOW - '95 Ford SHO Taurus
The mistake I was making was thinking a "glacer start" (VERY slow excellerating) was using less fuel. As I was corrected here on the forum getting the car into the higher gears is the first key, well if you are taking forever to get up to speed you are driving it longer in the lower gears getting worse mileage!

STUDY the following link. 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com Don't read thru it saying to yourself "I knew this" STUDY it. There were a ton of things I thought I knew but REALLY didn't.

One of these being how important it is to NOT stop at stop lights. How do you not stop at a stop light, easy, you short brake and leave the rolling up to the last car while the light turns green. The motor doesn't have to move the mass from a stop, the basic science principle, "It takes less energy to keep a mass moving than to start it from a dead stop".

STUDY the list, I have improved my mileage by over 25% using that list, and I was "practicing" what I THOUGHT were fuel saving driving habits already!

Brian