View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
-accelerating...I've read sometimes brisk acceleration is better, is this something you have to try and see or is it true (or false?). I've read things like "75% throttle" but I'd be doing 0-60 in 8 seconds with that, especially if I let the rpm's get a little higher.
The trick is keeping the RPM's down. You want to row through the gears as fast as you can while keeping the RPM's down, and I'd say below 2K on that engine. You might find a different RPM produces better results though, so try experimenting a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
-tires..I've got bridgestone Turanza's at 30 psi because that's what it says on the door but the tire says max pressure 51 psi. Can I take'em up to 51psi? I don't want to make the car uncontrollable....but what is the deal with PSI anyway?
Go up slowly. 30 is almost certainly too low, and the door placard is based on comfort, not efficiency or grip. You'll probably find the car hits peak grip at a higher pressure. Go up about 5 PSI at a time, and back off a bit when you notice lower grip.

Edit: I see I'm late to the party.