View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Overheating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I anticipate the higher load at lower 'ram' velocity and run heat setting to maximum,turn blower to highest speed using the heater core as an auxiliary radiator until 'past' the situation.
A manual control for an electric cooling fan would take care of it,but since I'm a 'flat-lander' the situations are rare.
Aerohead is right on this one and I have used this trick many times, with the heat on full blast and the windows down. Climbing these long mountain passes will make the coolant heat up. I did have a question for the OP. Did your car boil or steam? Are you sure it overheated? Personally, I don't get too concerned if the Scanguage reads 205º or even higher. Boiling is 212º at sea level and you have a 15 lb. pressure cap on you radiator that raises the boiling point even higher. Also, on most modern cars the temperature guage acts more like an "idiot light". You can see the actual temperature on the Scanguage and the factory temperature guage doesn't move. I trust the Scanguage to tell me what is really going on. But as always, buyer beware, it may be better to open up your grill block before you go to the mountains than to cook your engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 04-07-2010 at 11:28 AM..