View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
fiero

Quote:
Originally Posted by daring4 View Post

I guess I'm asking the Aero experts on here if mods will help this car? Should I pull the spoiler off, or does it help air get off the car? I've lowered it 1", full grill opening block and blocked the turn signal pockets with clear tape, removed antenna and wiper blades.
I think your model benefited from much of the development work done on the Trans Am Firebird.
If your engine's okay with the grille-block,then that's a keeper.
The Firebird R&D demonstrated that the openings for the turn-signals don't increase drag.They create pools of dead air that the surrounding flow just skips over.I think it will be same for Fiero.
If you can get a good side photo of the car,you could compare it to the Aerodynamic Streamlining Template Part-C at EcoModder Search above.
Just looking at the photos,I'd say stick with the rear spoiler.Maybe extend the ends down closer to the rear quarter panels so they don't 'leak' so much.
The 'Template' will give you an idea as to whether or not you will want to extend the spoiler straight back a bit ( GOOGLE the Mercedes-Benz 1990 190E 2.5 EVO II ) and see what they did.
There's a ton of ideas to look at with the stickys here at the forum.
The Fiero,being a mid-engine may require special handling with the cooling dept.
It looks like a great project car.I've driven in the Fiero and I wondered about the decision to let it go.Sales figures might clinch that,don't know.
Keep us posted!
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
daring4 (04-10-2010)