Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hyperlurker

D-max - '04 Chevy Silverado Ls

Notch - '65 Volkswagen 1500 S

MTCHBX - '05 Scion XB
90 day: 40.41 mpg (US)
How aero is this ?

I guess I'm asking the Aero experts on here if mods will help this car? Should I pull the spoiler off, or does it help air get off the car? I've lowered it 1", full grill opening block and blocked the turn signal pockets with clear tape, removed antenna and wiper blades.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
fiero

Quote:
Originally Posted by daring4 View Post

I guess I'm asking the Aero experts on here if mods will help this car? Should I pull the spoiler off, or does it help air get off the car? I've lowered it 1", full grill opening block and blocked the turn signal pockets with clear tape, removed antenna and wiper blades.
I think your model benefited from much of the development work done on the Trans Am Firebird.
If your engine's okay with the grille-block,then that's a keeper.
The Firebird R&D demonstrated that the openings for the turn-signals don't increase drag.They create pools of dead air that the surrounding flow just skips over.I think it will be same for Fiero.
If you can get a good side photo of the car,you could compare it to the Aerodynamic Streamlining Template Part-C at EcoModder Search above.
Just looking at the photos,I'd say stick with the rear spoiler.Maybe extend the ends down closer to the rear quarter panels so they don't 'leak' so much.
The 'Template' will give you an idea as to whether or not you will want to extend the spoiler straight back a bit ( GOOGLE the Mercedes-Benz 1990 190E 2.5 EVO II ) and see what they did.
There's a ton of ideas to look at with the stickys here at the forum.
The Fiero,being a mid-engine may require special handling with the cooling dept.
It looks like a great project car.I've driven in the Fiero and I wondered about the decision to let it go.Sales figures might clinch that,don't know.
Keep us posted!
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
daring4 (04-10-2010)
Old 04-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hyperlurker

MTCHBX - '05 Scion XB
Aerohead was the one I hoping to hear from! Cooling should be no prob, rad is at 45 deg to the ground with an airdam and a large opening in front of it. I'll see what I can do to attach the wing to the quarters. As far as dropping the car from the lineup its rumoured to be the 3.4l DOHC designed for the 89 model that killed it, outperformed the 89 vette. I think of it as a porvette! I was thinking the turn signal pockets were acting like little parachutes, can't hurt to leave 'em covered.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
outperformed

Quote:
Aerohead was the one I hoping to hear from! Cooling should be no prob, rad is at 45 deg to the ground with an airdam and a large opening in front of it. I'll see what I can do to attach the wing to the quarters. As far as dropping the car from the lineup its rumoured to be the 3.4l DOHC designed for the 89 model that killed it, outperformed the 89 vette. I think of it as a porvette! I was thinking the turn signal pockets were acting like little parachutes, can't hurt to leave 'em covered.
That's funny! I've read where,when speed limiters were removed from Camaros and Firebirds,that their top speed could come very close to the Corvette.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The area between the buttresses (over the engine bay) is empty, correct? I don't think that's so good for your Cd. Perhaps an experiment with a Lexan or polycarb sheet that joins the C-pillars would be in order....

-soD
Old 04-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hyperlurker

MTCHBX - '05 Scion XB
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
The area between the buttresses (over the engine bay) is empty, correct? I don't think that's so good for your Cd. Perhaps an experiment with a Lexan or polycarb sheet that joins the C-pillars would be in order....

-soD
It is empty between them but that is the only place engine heat can get out of the engine bay. I see what you mean though turn that area into a sloping back window, right?
Old 04-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Seems the rear wing could be leveled a tad.
Rear wheel skirts and full moons.
Check for a rear "parachute" bumper, just watch engine temps etc.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hyperlurker

MTCHBX - '05 Scion XB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Seems the rear wing could be leveled a tad.
Rear wheel skirts and full moons.
Check for a rear "parachute" bumper, just watch engine temps etc.
Good ideas Jason, I just went out and checked under the back end and the rear bumper is not in the way of airflow. It is up higher than the trunk floor so it should be ok.

I would like to get full moons but I have heard of people losing them on the road, that would suck!

Watching temps like a hawk! Its getting warm here so I gotta be carefull!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
good luck with this. it is a nice looking fiero.
i almost bought a fiero this winter. it was an 88 GT.
it was in excellent condition and cheap.. it was a tough decision. - i envy your project.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Racing Moon Disks

Quote:
I would like to get full moons but I have heard of people losing them on the road, that would suck!
The REAL aluminum racing disks are screwed on and won't fly off. But you have to drill and tap the outer lip of your alloy wheels and not everyone is comfortable with that. I think it would look fantastic on an AeroFiero though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Reply  Post New Thread