View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
tim3058
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '86 Chevy Camaro Z28
90 day: 19.74 mpg (US)

New Blue - '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
90 day: 20.46 mpg (US)

Diesel - '96 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
Last 3: 13.56 mpg (US)

Tahoe #2 - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
90 day: 13.05 mpg (US)

SuperDuty - '08 Ford F-350 dually Lariat
90 day: 9.34 mpg (US)

Fundai - '09 Hyundai Elantra
90 day: 26.45 mpg (US)

HRV - '17 Honda HRV LX
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)
Magister:

I bought it through the link on here and it worked fine for months, its the display it had on it, I was happy with the night visibility so I left it that way.

4 thoughts on the problem, maybe someone gets an idea:
1) The device randomly totally locks up, no response hitting buttons, numbers are frozen while car is driving, then randomly reboots at some point and sets to zero. Once it starts rebooting it will do it randomly every 20-60s, after a few of those the display goes a darker shade and numbers are illegible (usually unplug it right after it does this).
2) I notice also during the brief time the MPGuino is functional, if I start pressing near the small silver device soldered into the back center of the board near the base, I sometimes get a more-often reset, and can alter the display appearance (gets dark/illegible numbers). Coincidence? nearby parts being affected?
3) Also tried removing the Atmega chip the other day after a series of resets, checked the pins and replaced it firmly in its socket... worked good for 10 mins and then back to rebooting (maybe not a good idea, but I was curious).
4) As Magister said, his worked fine in the SC summer heat in a box, mines in NY, its been 30s-70s tops so far this spring, and the whole back of the MPGuino is exposed. It's been in the same setup for months, why would it be overheating now?

Thanks for the ideas thus far, that thing was handy, I miss it