View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminjimmy View Post
I But is there any EV that can turn tires???? Or even one that has enough energy to turn tires,
Yes, here's two:
Tesla Roadster. - More than your budget.
White Zombie - A 1972 Datsun

One of the biggest things I always see with people interested in electric conversions is that they have unrealistic expectations. They think it will cost less, go farther, go faster, and have better acceleration than it actually will.

Also, electric motors really do kick gasoline engine's butts! It is far superior technology, hands down.
The issue is how much energy can be stored in your fuel. (At what weight and size = "energy density". As well as what price?)

Gasoline has an AMAZING AMOUNT OF ENERGY IN IT!

I think a truck like this could have some really neat potential as a hybrid. A four-wheel drive system could be setup with an electric motor on one set of wheels and the gasoline engine going to the other.
Otherwise, an electric motor powers the wheels, with energy from the batteries, and topped off on the fly from a generator. (Plug-in serial-hybrid - Chevy Volt style.)

If you need to go 60 mph, you will need higher than 72V. Check out the Open Revolt controllers. They really work well.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
ShadeTreeMech (04-15-2010)