View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I wish gas was $4.199 again

the worst thing to happen to the movement toward a better way of making our wheels turn lost steam when gas dropped down to $1.99

When and why did this forum occur? When did fuel efficient vehicles really start to catch the public eye? When did more research toward making diesel more viable speed up? It's when oil hit triple digits for a barrel.

As long as gas remains dirt cheap, we'll always have difficulties getting the US off the gas addiction. Make gas expensive, and the oil lobbies will be less popular. Talk to people in Europe and the price for fuel is crazy high compared to us, and it's been that way for a while. The result? there are a ton more fuel efficient vehicles available over there than over here. I read the post from a guy in Belgium who mentioned he had a van with a 2L diesel engine. If you tried to sell that in the US you'd get laughed all the way back to Europe. 2L in a vehicle that large? You gotta be kidding me. But I bet that van does just fine.

I read reviews about my minivan posted when it was new, and it was criticized for lacking power and having too small of an engine. It has a 3L for crying out loud. As a society we're too accustomed to power power power POWER at any cost, and it's crazy. My 4L Explorer engine may not become the EV I had hoped for, but I promise it is going to get a smaller more efficient engine one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.