View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #75 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Ok let me get this straight. lets use your most optimistic value.

35 cents cheaper.

gas here is $2.70 a gallon. so your E85 would be $2.35 a gallon

lets do a cost per mile using a my minivan since its good decent all around mpg's and lets assume it was DESIGNED to run E85 properly

Gasoline MPG is 28mpg

theoretical E85 mpg is 16.8 and this is being VERY generous

On gas its 9.6 cents per mile on E85 its 14 cents a mile

4.4 cents MORE every single mile you drive even at 35 cents less ?? explain that to me WHY would you want that?

this means E85 costs you MORE to drive. this means if you an AVERAGE driver going 12,000 miles a year E85 costs you $528 MORE every single year.

WHY in the world do you think this is a good thingk ShadeTreeMech?

just to break even your E85 would need to be $1.61 a gallon

Its not. anywhere. Ever.

YES ask any mechanic what too much ethanol would do to an old fuel pump and the plastic and rubber in older engines and the diagram's in old motors (such as tools and motorcycles and outboards)

ask any chemical engineer what ethanol will do to all the millions of FIBERGLASS tanks out their today and what that resulting mess will DO to your airplane or boat engine?

Ever wonder why all those gorgeous fiberglass cabin cruisers are on CL in the NE for cheap or free? go get an estimate on what it would cost to cut the top off a 30+ foot boat to replace the built in fiberglass tanks with metal tanks :-)

The last 3 fuel pumps I had to replace I tested the gas in the tank. It was more than 10% ethanol (ethanol is extremely hygroscopic it sucks in water like a super magnet so WATER damage is an issue too) 13-16%

Go ask ANY manufacturer or NON E85 designed vehicles what happens to your warranty if you put (no control by you mind you) over 10% ethanol in your car.

Instantly voids your warranty.

yeah its BAD stuff.