View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #32 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Well, without the factory rake you're losing aero quality, and I'd like to see where taller tires are of benefit. The factory spoiler on mine is 10" from the ground, and a number of other brand trucks I have measured show no less than 7".

How about this, then: What is your average speed (E/T) for these tanks? I find that if I am averaging at least 27 mph then mpg is good (I'm currently at 38-mph). This leads me to wonder if

A] Departure and destination points/time are the same daily; and

B] If running OOR (out-of-route) might show some benefit; where, 10% or more miles farther on limited access roadways would keep E/T better and avoid one or more traffic stops. I wouldn't hesitate to run an additional 20 daily miles on the big road for several tanks. Standing starts are, as you know, real murder with an auto against 7,000-lbs which is made worse by taller tires. (Look at the OOR miles as a percentage of total [versus numerical] miles).

C] Prevailing winds: are they the same, daily? Do they shift during the day? Is a different route justified to take advantage? With the LEER topper on mine I have come to believe that a beneficial quartering or tail wind of 3-5 mph is necessary to "cancel" bad aero.

With all that in mind, if departure from home daily is scheduled, then the MOPAR block heater (see WIGIDIGIT quick connect from GENOS GARAGE) would help. As would the MOPAR winter front if you are running solo/empty. Two hours of heating all that coolant up a significant amount in temp would be worth the initial and long-term cost if set to a timer prior to departure.

As to "tuners" being beneficial, there are other men with trucks similar to mine (2003-2005) running the Gulf Coast and Southern Plains at 24-26 mpg and none of them are reporting that tuners increase steady-state mileage. Same with BHAF, fuel catalysts, tone ring mod, TORNADO, modified exhausts, etc., etc. Stock trucks on OEM tires at recommended pressures. These are men who also run IRS-deductible miles (business use) and keep records. Adding fuel pressure and modifying timing may make the trucks more responsive, but that is different than the end result of higher mpg. (On mine the response is flat through 2000-rpm, so I could see where a lesser driver would avoid "hanging the shift" with a "mileage" tuner; it was a bit irritating to get used to at first).

I do know that if mine were auto/4wd I'd be all over those front ball joints at 50,000 miles, as well as that worm-gear steering box. Eliminating steering play would be a VERY high priority. What kind of wear rate are you seeing on those tires every 10,000 miles?

Off-topic: I know ya'll think that BBQ is sheep or llama or something back there, but I am still kicking myself for being stuck two nights in Goldsboro a dozen years ago with nothing to do . . and only find out later that there is a GREAT BBQ house there!

Last edited by slowmover; 04-19-2010 at 03:27 PM..