View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #78 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
So I've just read this whole thread but haven't seen any discussion on how much improvement you've realized. (I like your work BTW!)
Thanks. It's quite difficult for me to do the kind of testing that, say, Darin does. I live on a small island where the only straight and level road is on the Ferry and trips to town are usually filled with visiting friends and shopping for groceries. I must remember to do some coastdowns at least though.

Quote:
Your signature has a 50 mpUSg number and you've mentioned 62 mpg (I assume that's imperial i.e. ~51 mpUSg.)
That is actually 62 USmpg 74 imperial. Just on my last tank, mind you.

Quote:
Do you have any test data on how much each mod has helped?
Since it's difficult for me to test I usually do a lot of research and do the numbers on a mod to see how much gain is possible. Then I have to let my mpg numbers do the talking. Of course my technique is improving so that makes a difference too.

Quote:
I don't know what typical mileage the Gen I stock Prii got (our Gen II gets 52-58 mpUSg depending on the season.)
The EPA website shows an average of 45mpg for the 2003 from actual drivers who posted and 47.4 for the 2004 model. Sounds like you are doing great.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.