View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you can envision a driving environment where you don't apply your brakes 'til you arrive at your destination,the regenerative braking becomes superfluous and an unnecessary expense.
If the incorporation of regenerative braking only requires a single component with relatively little added weight then most regenerative braking can be very helpful to overall efficiency.

I would prefer that option to waiting for the driving population to be reeducated and the road system redesigned. Around here it takes the traffic engineers 6 months to figure out the new light is totally out of sequence with the other 12 in a 3 mile stretch .

Lightweight vehicle with no exotic materials. Individual in wheel regenerating IVTs, with a small capacity accumulator and a .6 to 1 liter engine with electric supercharging.

Practically speaking, I don't see any significant improvement in the abilities of the driving population to become as situationally aware as those of us who drive for mileage. It would be nice to know what stage in the cycle the upcoming traffic lights are approaching, but around here that would not stop the blast and brake stupidity I see daily.

Maybe at some point we may actually change driving habits, but I doubt it in my lifetime. In the interim we should try to change the way the machine approaches the optimization of the fuel used for the distance travelled. In essence to incorporate hypermiling techniques into the vehicle itself instead of relying on the drivers actions to accomplish the same.

regards
Mech