View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I have had a little trouble with the controller lately.

For our local Earth Day Car Show, tradition says that it will be great weather before the event, and then rain that whole weekend... which it did.

When I went to use the car to move it up with the other vehicles near the tent, the controller wouldn't turn on. When I turn the key, the green power LED comes on, but the yellow Logic/Troubleshooting LED doesn't come on.

Two days later, the next time I needed to use the car, and the weather was better, the car ran fine.

Today, I used the car and it ran fine. Then it started raining real hard in the early evening, and my wife requested that I run out to the grocery store. I told her I would, if the car started.

Sure enough, the main contactor wouldn't click on. (Main contractor control is powered from the Cougar Revolt.) I checked under the hood. Green power LED was on and the Logic/Troubleshooting Yellow LED was off.

I think the damp is getting into my controller. The controller is under the hood, but it's near the front of the car. Also, the positive and negative power wires, as well as the 12V+ for the contactor are somewhat exposed. The main contactor is protected inside a weatherproof box.

Any ideas on what to do for weatherproofing the controller? I was considering re-building the case into something a little different. Otherwise, maybe just caulking all the seams, and where the wires go in and out?

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos