View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Well those fender skirts look pretty slick! Nice find, BUT - will they fit on your dually fenders?

I've marveled at the airspace around the wheels in lots of larger truck wheelwells. It's crazy. If you're going offroading and expect a lot of deflection, then I can see having it there. But most of them don't get much beyond the curb, and then only in parking lots and driveways. You can seriously close up a lot of gap and get some air management.

See what Phil Knox - aka Aerohead - has done with slick caps on his trucks. If there's a way you could have a cap most of the time that was super-easy and convenient to roll up, fold up, or otherwise get out of the way of your next load of solar gear, you'd be reaping the benefits with every mile.

5 mpg on WVO is better than 50 on petro diesel, in my book. And burning it to install solar panels is even better. If you're doing better than that, you're ahead of the curve by a long shot.

So dish: solar electric, hot air, hot water? The picture looked like evacuated tubes.

I'm the facility manager for a rescue mission in Tennessee, I take one look at our monthly utility bills, another look at our large expanse of gloriously unblocked south-facing roof, and daydream. It'd be nice, but I'm not sure it can deliver the kind of volume I need.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.